Barrett (Classic Edition)Russell Beecher and William Shutes
Full of unseen and rare images of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd, this official and fully authorised book also collects and catalogues for the first time all of Syd’s known artworks and also includes Syd’s photographs of his artwork. Created in conjunction with the Barrett family, the publishers were granted intimate access into the family photo and art archives resulting in the book containing countless images that can’t be found anywhere else.
The book splits into three sections:
- Syd’s life in photographs – from growing up through to working and performing with Pink Floyd and his life as a solo artist.
- Unseen and unpublished illustrated letters sent to Libby Gausden-Chisman and Jenny Spires between 1962-1965, as Syd was finding himself as a painter and a musician.
- All of Syd’s existing work as a visual artist from 1962 until his death.
The book contains over 250 images. These include:
- Over 100 completely unseen images and many more reproduced in fine art quality for the first time.
- Over 40 artworks including: paintings, drawings, mosaics, collages, and sculptures.
- Over 50 unseen photographs taken by Syd of his artworks, including: images of his “destroyed” works seen here for the first time, studies in preparation for his artworks, images of his work area.
The Art section also includes:
- An extensive commentary on Syd’s artworks by Barrett art expert Will Shutes.
- Notes on Syd’s diaries, notebooks, scrapbooks, and his History of Art project.
- The Catalogue Raisonné of Syd’s art – listing and dating all the artwork known to have existed.