Duffy / Bowie: Five SessionsKevin Cann, Chris Duffy
Brian Duffy defined the image of the 1960s, and was as famous as the stars he photographed. Together with David Bailey and Terence Donovan, he is recognised as one of the innovators of "documentary" fashion photography, a style which revolutionised fashion imagery and furthermore the fashion industry.
Duffy's most famous photograph dates from the 1970s and is the iconic and revolutionary cover of David Bowie's album Aladdin Sane, a shot that became the defining look of Bowie's long career, and has been referred to as the Mona Lisa of pop. The photographer and the rock star collaborated on four other projects: Ziggy Stardust, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and Lodger. They worked together during the pivotal years of Bowie's career; when the king of glam was assuming and discarding extraordinary personas, Duffy was capturing them all.
Written by David Bowie's biographer, Kevin Cann, Duffy/Bowie - Five Sessions features anecdotes and stories from those attending the shoots - including Tony Defries (Bowie's manager at the time of Ziggy Stardust); Celia Philo (designer) & Philip Castle (airbrush artist) from the famous Aladdin Sane shoot; Francis Newman (Duffy's studio manager); May Routh (costume designer) from The Man Who Fell to Earth; Geoff MacCormack (musician and Bowie's childhood friend); Derek Boshier (art director of Lodger); Natasha Kornilof costume designer for Scary Monsters; Edward Bell (artist); Steve Strange (musician) and Duffy's son, Chris, who also worked on the Scary Monsters session. Included are many unseen images and behind the scenes photographs.
- Size: 230 mm x 190 mm
- Pages: 212
- Illustrations: 80 colour, 90 b&w
- Illustrates Brian Duffy's five different photographic shoots with David Bowie, documenting Bowie's career and pioneering reinvention, as well as Duffy's special relationship with the artist over almost a decade
- Includes some of the most famous Bowie images together with out takes and rare shots
- Foreword by Sir Peter Blake
We are also pleased to offer an excellent bundle deal that includes this book and the excellent 'Glam Messiah 9x12 print.
- Exclusive commission by The Flood Gallery
- Limited edition silkscreen print
- 9 x 12"
- Printed on 100lb white acid free paper
- Signed by Justin Hampton.